If you haven't ticked off baking on your lockdown bingo scorecard yet, you'll wanna correct that with this saucy recipe. Gooey, boozy and chocolaty: the ultimate isolation indulgence. So good we dare ya not to eat them all in one go.
- 130g dark brown sugar
- 60g salted butter
- 130g plain flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Madagascan vanilla
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (pick your fave and serve yourself up a dram too, cos why the hell not?)
- 40g dark chocolate, roughly chopped (or choc chips if you've got 'em)
- Flaked sea salt for sprinkling (optional but we f*cking love the salty-sweet contrast)
- Preheat your oven to 325℉ / 160℃ & line a 9-inch square dish with greaseproof paper.
- In a small saucepan, melt the brown sugar and butter together. You want it to look a bit like wet sand. Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl stir together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder.
- Once the butter mixture has cooled, stir in the egg, vanilla, & bourbon. Stir in the flour mixture until well combined. Stir in the dark chocolate.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the lined baking dish and put in the oven.
- Lick the bowl
- This next bit depends on whether you want them baked the whole way through or a lit bit gooey. We like 'em gooey so around 13-15 mins works for us, but for a more thorough bake, leave 'em in for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick/knife/kebab skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- After removing the brownies from the oven, sprinkle with flaked sea salt.
Now either leave to cool completely (this will require self-control - good luck) or dish 'em up warm straight away with ice-cream and an extra slug of bourbon (again, why the f*ck not?) If you really like them, hide them. They won't last long in a house with others - though the good thing is they ain't kid-appropriate so no having to share with little ones. Unlucky, suckers!
Recipe & imagery adapted from theringers.co