Ice cream is A Fundamentally Perfect Food, but there is a way to make it even better: just add booze. If you're a fan of a Frozen Marg, you're gonna dig this recipe. And there's no ice cream machine required. BOOM.
Just remember, booze doesn't freeze the same as water, so when you're adding your fave tequila to the mix, use a steady hand. As tempted as you might be to add in an extra glug, DON'T. That sh*t won't freeze, and you'll be left with the sloppy corpse of a creamy Margarita - probably still delicious, but it won't impress as much when dessert time rolls around. You can always add a shot over your ice cream when you serve if you're feeling frisky.
Margarita Ice Cream
Recipe adapted from nigella.com
- 125ml lime juice (about 5 or 6 limes)
- Zest of 3 limes
- 2 tbsp tequila
- 3 tbsp Cointreau
- 150g icing/powdered sugar
- 500ml double cream (you can sub a vegan cream here - just make sure it's the same consistency as double cream)
- Pour the lime juice, zest, tequila and Cointreau into a bowl and stir in the sugar until dissolved.
- Add the cream and then softly whip until the mixture is thick and smooth, but not stiff. (If you have an ice cream maker you can totally use it for this bit, but you really don't need one. We do recommend an electric whisk, 'cos ain't nobody got time - or energy - for hand whisking.)
- Spoon this into an airtight container and place in the freezer.
- Take it out after an hour or so and give it another quick mix to break up any ice crystals that might have formed.
- Return to the freezer overnight.
- Serve in sugar- and salt-rimmed Margarita glasses (come on, you've gotta) and garnish with a slice of lime.
- Blow everyone's goddamn minds.
Imagery sourced from Pinterest